Saturday, May 1, 2010

Friendship For Grown - Ups (Book Review)

Friendship for Grown-Ups
Lisa Whelchel

Lisa Whelchel takes an honest look into her life and discovers that she lacks true friends. She discloses in a very open and vulnerable way why she did not have the true emotional bonds that women generally share with one another. Ms. Whelchel plainly walks a path that brings her to points where, if she chooses, she can know other women in the profound and life changing vehicle of friendship. Using scripture and personal, sometimes painful, stories Lisa shows the reader how to experience friendship in a more intimate way.
‘Friendship for Grown-Ups’ was written in a manner that allowed me to imagine Lisa actually saying the words to me; as if she were personally present in the room.
I have always thought that I have much to offer in my friendships. After all, I am loyal and affectionate, and I also know how to just ‘be’ in a moment. This book made me re-examine myself as I read. I found there were places where I had not been the best friend I could have been. I felt challenged to return to my cooled relationships and reaffirm them. I realized I couldn’t wait to get to my next women’s bible study group so I could share what I had learned.
I wrote down the gems that spoke to me most on the first read through, and I have already recommended this book to several of my friends.
Thank you to Thomas Nelson for this complimentary copy of ‘Friendship for Grown-Ups’ so that I could preview it.